Preaching the Kids

I'm preaching this Sunday out of Mark's passage on the "little children" (Mk. 10:13-16). Jesus roundhouses on the disciples' uppity behavior and gives them a lesson in upside-down power. I emailed folks at Hope asking for their thoughts on childlikeness, un-childlikeness and childishness. One person responded with what looks like a well-traveled urban internet story. This was one of my favorites. Whether true or not, it's no matter. I do hope, though, that the kid said something like it, preferably in a public school classroom.


A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales. The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale to swallow ahuman because even though it was a very large mammal its throat wasvery small. The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.

Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not swallow ahuman; it was physically impossible.

The little girl said, "When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah."

The teacher asked, "What if Jonah went to hell?"

The little girl replied, "Then you ask him."

Comments

Popular Posts