Two days to go


It's hard to believe we're only two days away. I've been thinking about this symposium since the summer of 2000 when I pulled Laurel Gasque over in the hallways at Regent College and said, "Laurel, I've got this idea for a conference that would bring together artists, pastors, educators and theologians." That was the original idea. She said, "Great. I hope you do it."
And here we are, I'm doing it, and it's so much harder than anything I ever imagined back then. We're ooching toward the 600 mark when we start including the day-rate goers in the mix. It's frightening, really. But it's happening.
It's the eeriest feeling. I was standing outside Hope Chapel this morning, during the service, talking to Melinda Peinado. Off to the side was a cluster of three older women. They kept looking at me. Then one of them walked over to me and said, "Hi, I'm Kevin Delahunty's mother." "Oh my! It's so nice to meet you. I knew Kevin back in the mid '90s. I was just getting started with this whole arts pastor business." "Yes," she said, "and I'm here for your symposium." Oh wow. This funny feeling started wobbling around in my heart.
"Do you know what it means that you're standing in front of me?" I asked her. "No," she said with a bemused look. "It means I really have to do this symposium thing after all. Oh shoot!"
Folks at this moment are driving from Georgia, Mississippi, Colorado and around Texas. Barbara Nicolosi flew in this afternoon. The rest of the gang and hundreds of others descend upon Austin tomorrow.
It's 72 degrees in Austin tonight, 81% humidity. The skies are clear. I'm not done writing my talk on the dangers of artistic activity in the church. I'm beat.
And I've never done anything like this before.

Comments

hello!
you don't know me but I stumbled upon your blog a couple of weeks back (via a google search for arts/christianity that led me to Jeremy Begbie's site and from there via a few leaps to this - ah! the freaky connectedness of this modern-day world!). Anyway - I've come back on a couple of occasions and had a good read (hope you don't mind my nosiness!) because I just felt a real connection with your writing and vision. I'm based in England and unfortunately have neither the time nor the money at the moment to make it over to your symposium (would love to be there!) but just wanted you to know that the excitement about this event and the hope and prayer for it extends beyond those who are turning up and those who you already know! I'll be praying for you all over the next few days - for logistics, for vision, for energy and refreshment and basically for God to turn up!
I look forward to hearing all about it!
-Rosy
Thank you, Rosy. I receive your prayers gladly, eagerly and humbly. Perhaps one day we'll see you on the other side of the pond. Keep up the good work amongst our Brit cousins!
oh, and we upstate New Yorkers already got our money's worth as we zoomed up highway 290 with air conditioner on high and every window down -- and we saw green grass and flowers and everything!! the symposium will just be icing on the cake.
darrah said…
i've been reading your blog for the past several weeks. i wish i could have gone to the symposium, but just wasn't able to make it with my schedule. i hope all went well! i look forward to reading about it on your blog.

Popular Posts